Geoffrey Rush resigns from film academy following allegations of 'inappropriate behavior'
The Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales star has excused himself from a huge gig.
On Saturday, Dec. 2, 2017, the Associated Press reported that Geoffrey Rush had decided to resign from his role as president of the Australian Academy of Cinema and Television Arts. In a statement to the AP via his lawyer Nicholas Pullen, Rush said, "Certain recent media reports have made untenable allegations concerning my standing in the entertainment community. It is unreasonable that my professional colleagues should be somehow associated with such allegations."
The 66-year-old continued, "In the circumstances, I have decided to step aside in my ambassadorial role as president of AACTA effective immediately and until these issues have been resolved," adding, "This decision has not been made lightly. However, in the current climate of innuendo and unjustifiable reporting, I believe the decision to make a clean break to clear the air is the best for all concerned."Megyn Kelly invites Matt Lauer accusers to speak on Megyn Kelly Today
The AACTA responded to Rush's statement, telling the AP, "We have been deeply concerned about the situation and support a course of action that both respects Geoffrey's rights to the presumption of innocence and due process, but also acknowledges good corporate governance in these circumstances."
As Nicki Swift previously reported, Australia's Sydney Theatre Company announced that it had received a complaint from a worker who alleged that Rush, who'd acted in the company's production of King Lear from November 2015 to January 2016, had engaged in "inappropriate behavior."
However, additional information about the reported misconduct have not yet been revealed—even to Rush himself, apparently. "They refused to illuminate me with the details," the actor said, in response to news about the complaint. "I also asked why this information was being withheld and why, according to standard theater practice, the issue had not been raised with me during the production via stage management, the director, my fellow actors or anyone at management level. However, no response was forthcoming."Rebel Wilson tearfully opens up about defamation case win
While we wait for more details about the alleged incident involving Rush, read up on all the men accused of sexual misconduct since movie producer Harvey Weinstein was first called out in October 2017.