Russia probes wrong photos in FB post
Russia's defence ministry says an employee had attached the wrong photos to a statement accusing the US of providing de facto air cover for Islamic State in Syria after the mistake was spotted online.
The ministry says it would investigate the incident, which it said was caused by a civilian employee, but did not say how or why the pictures used were incorrect.
"However, the US command's refusal to carry out strikes on the convoys of ISIL terrorists retreating from Albu Kamal on November 9 is an objective fact reflected in the transcripts of the talks and therefore, fully known to the US side," Interfax news agency quoted the ministry as saying on Tuesday.Powerful winds raise California fire risk
Earlier on Tuesday, the ministry posted a statement on its Facebook page saying the US air force had tried to hinder Russian strikes on IS militants, accompanied by satellite photographs it said showed a vehicle convoy of the militants leaving the Syrian town of Albu Kamal on November 9.
At least one of the photographs exactly matched a frame from a promotional video for a AC-130 Gunship Simulator computer game posted online in March 2015.
Asked about Russian allegations of the US helping IS around Albu Kamal, Colonel Ryan Dillon, spokesman for the US-led coalition fighting IS, said: "The Russian ministry of defence statements are about as accurate as their air campaign and I think that is a reason for them to start, you know, coming out with their latest barrage of lies.Exiled king's remains reburied in Italy
"I certainly can't verify, but I've seen the report that one of the pictures came from a video game. So, again that is pretty consistent with what we have seen come out of Russian MoD, as being baseless, inaccurate and you know, completely false," he told a briefing with Pentagon reporters on Tuesday.