Qatar emir open to Trump-hosted talks
Qatar's ruler says he is ready for US-hosted direct talks aimed at solving the worst diplomatic crisis in the Gulf in years but has yet to hear a response to US President Donald Trump's invitation to the four Arab states boycotting Doha.
Speaking to US broadcaster CBS News, Qatari Emir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad al-Thani said he wanted an end to the dispute, which erupted on June 5 and pits Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, the United Arab Emirates and Egypt against Qatar.
"Nothing is going to be above our dignity, our sovereignty. But we want it to end. I always say that," he told the 60 Minutes program. "If they (are) going to walk one metre toward me, I'm willing to walk 10,000 miles towards them."Germany cuts its migration to 200,000
The four countries have cut diplomatic, transport and trade ties with Qatar, the world's top seller of liquefied natural gas, accusing it of financing terrorism. Doha denies the charges.
The dispute has hit travel and food imports and ratcheted up tensions in a wealthy region which plays a leading role in global energy markets as well as events across the wider Middle East.
On Sunday, Bahrain's foreign minister called for freezing Qatar's membership out of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) to preserve its unity, adding that Bahrain will not attend the upcoming GCC summit if Qatar does not change its stand.Exiled king's remains reburied in Italy
Qatar hosts Al Udeid air base, the largest US military facility in the Middle East.
Sheikh Tamim said Trump had told him "I will not accept my friends fighting amongst themselves," and that in talks on the sidelines of a United Nations' meeting in September he had made an offer to host talks in the United States.
Saudi Arabia's Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman spoke by phone with Qatar's emir on September 8 in the first publicly reported contact between the two leaders since the crisis began.Sixth anniversary of Kim Jong Il's death
There has been no further contact reported since then.